Friday, February 13, 2009

Bill Mack on WIllie's Place




Bill Mack, the Satellite Cowboy and the Truckers' Friend, is migrating from XM Radio's Open Road Channel 171 to Willie's Place, the radio home of honky-tonk (Channel 13 on XM Radio and Channel 64 on Sirius) starting next Monday.

Bill is a broadcasting legend and my favorite country music disc jockey who's been playing music and talking to truckers since the 1960s, famously on WBAP AM from Fort Worth where he was the Midnight Cowboy, broadcasting to truckers across the nation, and for the past few years on XM.

Bill was an invaluable resource for my book Willie Nelson: An Epic Life, especially on Wednesdays, because Willie calls in to talk to truckers. That midday practice will continue on Willie's Place, where Bill will complement the current lineup that includes Dallas Wayne, broadcasting live from Willie's Place at Carl's Corner, Interstate 35 E at the Hillsboro split, 55 miles south of Dallas, in Hill County, Willie Nelson's home county.

Willie and the Wheel will wrap up their western swing tour at Willie's/Carl's on February 24 and 25. I'll be there on the first night, signing books.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ditto on enjoying Bill on Willies place. I live in Ark. but spent 60s and 70s in Big D. listened to Bill on late night when I worked at the "Marmom" truck plant in Garland about 1974.
Met him in Nashville in the alley behind the Opry. 1971 or 72. he was very gracious/

Unknown said...

We would like to know how to get a copy of the indain song, I think it is amazine grace. You sometimes plce on Sunday morning program. My email is peachy29488@yahoo.com Thank you, William & Debra Beach

Anonymous said...

I have listened to Bill since the early 50's when he was on XERF in Mexico. Now I listen to him on my xm radio. What a way we have come since XERF time.